EEOC- Know Your Rights
On October 19, 2022, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) issued a new poster titled “Know Your Rights,” which updates and replaces the previous “EEO is the Law” poster. Under the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (Title VII), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other laws enforced by the EEOC, employers with 15 or more employees must prominently display the new poster at their work sites.
Laws enforced by the EEOC generally prohibit employment discrimination based on certain protected traits, including race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability and age. These laws also require employers to display a workplace poster that describes their prohibitions and requirements.
Updates in New Poster
The new “Know Your Rights” poster includes the following differences from the previous version:
- Uses more straightforward language and formatting;
- Notes that harassment is a prohibited form of discrimination;
- Clarifies that sex discrimination includes discrimination based on pregnancy and related conditions, sexual orientation or gender identity;
- Adds a QR code for applicants or employees to link directly to instructions on how to file a charge of workplace discrimination with the EEOC; and
- Provides information about equal pay laws for federal contractors.
To view the new poster, please click the link below for the English or Spanish version.